Dandruff, also termed as “seborrheic dermatitis” is a general scalp disorder that majority of the population suffers from. It can occur due to irritated oily skin, dry skin, expansion of fungus and bacteria on the scalp, inflammatory skin situations and other such factors. It can cause itchiness along with extreme formation of dry skin flakes on the scalp.
Dandruff can be easily controlled by following a healthy hair care routine. You can also try some easy natural Home Remedies for Dandruff. It’s true that natural remedies take time to demonstrate results but they can successfully treat the problem entirely.
Dandruff is one of the most common problems among adolescents, but it can affect people of any age group. At some point of life, everyone has desperately tried almost all dandruff treatments and anti-dandruff shampoo (over-the-counter), but this is one sticky problem that keeps coming back.
In many cases, the problem of dandruff itself is not so severe but it’s irritating and embarrassing indeed. In some cases, it can lead to other skin problems like acne, pimples or even worse, it can lead to lowered self esteem and social problems.
If you have a problem of dandruff and you are most likely looking for ways to stop those white flakes of skin, you should go with Home Remedies for Dandruff.
Try These Home Remedies for Dandruff and Get a Flake Free Scalp
MouthwashThe anti-fungal property of mouthwash helps in preventing dandruff-causing yeast from developing.
- For treating a bad case of dandruff, clean your hair with your normal shampoo, and then rinse with an alcohol-based mouthwash.
- Follow your regular conditioner.
SaltThe abrasiveness of common table salt works brilliant for scrubbing dandruff flakes before you shampoo.
- Take a saltshaker and shake some salt onto your dry scalp.
- Then work it throughout your hair, providing your scalp a massage.
- You’ll get you’ve worked out the flaky, dry skin and are ready for a shampoo.
Indian Lilac or NeemNeem is the best natural treatment for dandruff. The antibacterial and antifungal properties of Indian lilac, also known as neem which helps in treating dandruff as well as many other hair problems such as an itchy scalp, acne and hair fall efficiency.
- Boil a handful of neem (Indian Lilac) leaves in four cups of water
- Cool the solution
- Apply this decoction as a hair rinse 2-3 times in a week
Coconut OilCoconut oil helps remove dandruff due to its antifungal properties. It also provides relief from itching and moisturizes dry scalp.
- Take some coconut oil and blend half amount of lemon juice in it.
- Massage it on your scalp for a few minutes.
- After 20 minutes, wash your hair.
- Repeat this remedy in 2-3 times a week.
Baking SodaBeing a gentle exfoliant, baking soda helps in eliminating dead skin cells and soaks up extra oil. It can also help to balance the pH levels of the scalp and decrease the growth of fungi that cause dandruff.
- Wet your hair and massage baking soda onto your scalp.
- After a few minutes, wash your hair with Luke warm water.
- Repeat this procedure once or twice in a week for a few weeks.
Olive OilScalp dryness can be treated with the daily use of additional virgin olive oil, a successful natural moisturizer.
- Heat some olive oil until it is slightly warm.
- Rub it onto your scalp and then drape your hair in a warm towel.
- Keep it at least for 45 minutes or overnight and then wash with shampoo and condition your hair.
- Repeat this remedy for few times in a week.
Yogurt and PepperAn effective anti-dandruff home remedy is a mixture of yogurt and black pepper- the goodness of yogurt and the antifungal elements in black pepper.
- Take two tablespoons of black pepper and grind it well.
- In one cup of yogurt, add the powder.
- Combine it completely and use it on the scalp.
- Keep it for an hour and then wash your hair.
Ginger and Sesame OilPeople in India and even China have been using ginger to cure different varieties of beauty and health issues, including dandruff also, for centuries.
- Peel the ginger and grind it.
- Squeeze the ginger in cheesecloth to obtain the oil.
- Make the solution of ginger oil and sesame oil.
- Rub your scalp kindly with the mixture.
- Keep it for some time and then wash with a mild shampoo.
HennaHenna is known as a coloring agent. Along with coloring the hair, it can help in fighting dandruff and even moisturizing hair from the root.
- A spoon each of henna, tea powder, hair oil, amla powder and lemon juice and make a paste with all the ingredients.
- Use the paste on the scalp and leave it for a few minutes.
- Wash with any mild shampoo.
Basil (Tulsi) LeavesBasil contains antiseptic properties and the ability to deactivate toxins. It’s an excellent home remedy for dandruff and any other skin infection.
- Mix a few basil leaves, 2 spoons of amla powder and 2 spoons of water and get a smooth paste.
- Use the paste meticulously on your scalp and keep it for about 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with fresh water.
Lemon JuiceLemon juice includes acids that fight the fungi which can cause dandruff. It also helps to relieve itching on the scalp.
- Mix the juice of half a lemon in ¼ cup of plain yogurt. Apply it on your scalp and hair. Keep it for about 20 minutes before washing it off and shampoo your hair.
- Instead, you can just massage your scalp with a few spoons of lemon juice mixed with a little water. Keep it for 5 minutes before washing your hair.
AspirinAspirin includes salicylic acid which can help control dandruff by flaking off your scalp.
- Crush two aspirins finely and mix it with a drop of shampoo.
- Wash your hair with the paste, rubbing it onto your scalp.
- Keep it for a few minutes and then wash your hair well.
- If you want, wash your hair again with regular shampoo to get rid of the powder completely.
Fenugreek SeedsThe herb fenugreek seeds have soothing and antifungal properties that can help in controlling dandruff to a great extent.
- Soak 2-3 spoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. In the morning, grate them into a fine paste. You can also add a few spoons of plain yogurt to it.
- Use the paste all over your scalp and keep it for few hours.
- Clean it out by using shampoo.
- Repeat this once or twice in a week.
Aloe VeraPrevent yourself from scraping by rubbing aloe vera on your scalp before applying shampoo. The cooling effects of aloe vera will relieve the itch. It is the most natural remedy to protect hair from dandruff.
Always remember, you have to be patient while using these natural Home Remedies for Dandruff. You will need to follow one of the remedies of your choice and apply it consistently for better results.
Before applying these home remedies, you should know what kind of remedy suits your skin type, your environment and your personal source of dandruff.
Apart from dry and irritating skin, there are some other causes of dandruff, these are -
Some Causes of Dandruff
- Oily hair
- Not shampooing regularly
- Certain Skin disorders
- Skin eczema & fungus
- Poor diet
- Not brushing the hair properly
- Dry skin
- Seborrheic dermatitis (irritated, oily skin)
- Some illnesses
- Reaction from hair or skin care products
- Malassezia (A kind of fungus)
- Mental stress